Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Holy smokes I have a smart kid....

Makayla was inducted into National Honor Society! We are so proud of her. She worked very hard to get here. She has given up sleep and running around with friends. I hope that she enjoys high school but I hope that she makes the most of her time there also. I remember just a couple of years ago I thought I was going to pull my hair out over her schooling. She was unmotivated and was just flippant about her grades. I would lecture her (which by the way is a common parenting practice that just doesn't work). I would remind her how lucky she is to get to go to the school she goes to. I would remind her about the sacrifice that our family made to keep the kids at College Heights. It went in one ear and out the other. I have no idea when things changed. It was subtle. Then last year I notice that my kid, who had mediocre grade in middle school, had a 4.0 her freshman year. I was shocked. It wasn't that I didn't know she had it in her. That was one of the things that frustrated me so much. I knew she could do it, she just didn’t see the value in it. Once she had some success she just took off. Well… all that to tell you how proud I am of her and her hard work. She has also seen some hard work pay off in volleyball too. About 3 games ago she moved up to varsity only. She had been playing JV and varsity this season. When she was moved up she was given a starting position. It is such an honor for her. She has worked hard for 5 years to earn that position. It is such a blessing to see your children working hard and seeing the fruit of their labor. As I sat through the ceremony tonight I felt tears come to my eyes. I flashed forward 3 years in my life to the day my baby will graduate from high school. Three years is such a short time. She has such big dreams. She may not stay around home. God has got some major work to get my heart ready for that day. Way to go Makayla! It is days like this that make parenting you an easy job! Now let’s not talk about the mornings we argue with each other all the way to school…. btw I have 2 other smart kids I'll talk about them next time:)



No comments: